Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lemon Curd

I bought my first Meyer lemons last week and I am crazy about them.  They are currently sitting on my counter in glass bowl and they are bright and cheerful and they make me happy!  I never knew exactly what a Meyer lemon was, but after a little Google search, a Meyer lemon is a cross between a mandarin and a lemon.  They have a slightly sweeter smell and taste and they can be used to make a very delicious lemon curd.  I honestly could eat this stuff by the spoonful.  It is sweet, tart, and buttery.  It is lemon deliciousness!


Lemon Curd

4 large egg yolks
1 large whole egg
3/4 cup sugar (1 cup sugar if using regular lemons)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemons, strained
8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

Strain the yolks and whole egg through a sieve into a heavy nonreactive saucepan.  Add the sugar and juice; whisk to combine.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, 10-12 minutes.  Immediately press curd through a strainer into a heat-proof bowl.  Stir in the butter, one piece at a time, until fully incorporated.

If not using immediately, cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.  Chill in an airtight container.

Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment