Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Market Street Clam Chowder

While I was growing up, my family would stay the night in Salt Lake the night before Christmas Eve.  Every year we would go to Market Street Grill for dinner.  I remember the restaurant being noisy and busy with holiday parties.  There was always a wait, but Market Street was a tradition and so we would wait.  The sourdough bread with cold butter, the onion rings and the clam chowder always tasted so good and definitely are the most memorable.  My dad loves their onion rings!  My little family has been there a few times, but instead of going to Market Street each year, we like to have a quite (okay, maybe not so quite with three kidlets) dinner at home with a big pot of Market Street clam chowder, crusty bread and beer battered onion rings (if I am feeling up too it) during the holiday season. 


Market Street Clam Chowder

3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup flour
4 cups diced potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced green pepper
3/4 cup chopped clams
3/4 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
3/4 tablespoon dried thyme
6 dried bay leaves
1 teaspoon Tabasco
3/4 cup sherry
4 cups water
3/4 cup clam juice
1 quart plus 2 cups half & half

Combine melted butter and flour in oven-proof dish and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.  In large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except half & half.  Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.  Add butter-flour mixture to chowder and stir until thick.  Remove chowder from heat.  Stir in half & half until blended.  Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally.

*I use canned clams that are minced from the grocery store and I know that sounds gross, but they work great.  My sister Stephanie leaves the clams out of the soup, but still uses the clam juice.  Either way, it is delicious!

*I've changed the recipe just a bit because my family likes more potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. This is the same recipe I use for Clam Chowder! Love Market street!

    ReplyDelete